This year for the first time, the AIBs will include categories covering the best sports coverage, best business reporting and best science programme. These awards are in addition to the well-established categories covering TV and radio coverage of news, current affairs and creative features as well as cross-media production, international personalities, innovative technology and creative marketing strategy. After their success last year, the Best Children’s Progamme or Series and the People’s Choice award will be presnt for the second time.
This year’s People’s Choice category is for programmes covering “Democracy Uprisings” reflecting the tumultous changes that have happened and are still happening, particularly in North Africa and the Middle East. International media have had a huge role in helping organise some of the movements for change, as well as in reporting on events and shaping international opinion and support.
The viewing and voting for this category will be on Yahoo! Maktoob, which has an audience of over 55 million people in the Middle East and North Africa, as well as global accessibility.
The full list of AIBs categories is:
- Clearest coverage of a single news event – TV and radio
- Best current affairs documentary – TV and radio – sponsored by Russian Travel Guide TV
- Best investigative documentary – TV
- Best children’s factual programme/series – TV
- Best science programme – TV
- Best business programme – TV
- Best live sports coverage – TV – sponsored by Vizrt
- Best creative feature – radio
- Best cross-media production – sponsored by Eurosport
- Most creative marketing strategy
- Most innovative technology – sponsored by OASYS
- International personality of the year – TV and radio
- Yahoo! Maktoob People’s Choice – Best Coverage of Democracy Uprisings
Entries for the 2011 AIBs closed on Friday 1 July 2011.
An independent panel of highly respected media professionals from Africa, America, Asia, Australasia, Europe and the Middle East will judge the shortlisted entries in each category, apart from the People’s Choice for which votes from online viewers throughout the world will determine the winner. The Awards will then be presented in London on 9 November at a gala evening attended by presenters, editors, journalists, marketers, technologists and executives from media companies all over the world.